Born 1938 in Berlin, Germany, Barbara Müller-Kageler studied first art pedagogy at the Humboldt-Universität in East Berlin (Humboldt-University) and worked as an art teacher at a Berlin school. From 1962-1982 she had an artistic lectureship at the Humboldt-University. In parallel, she followed studies at the Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weiβensee (Academy of Art) and made her diploma in painting 1966. There, she had a teaching position since 1982. Ten years later, she was appointed professor. Since 2003, she is emeritus professor and works as independent artist.
Already in the times of the GDR Barbara Müller-Kageler’s artistic work was recognised: in 1976 she was granted the Berlinpreis des Magistrats von Groβ-Berlin (Berlin-award of the municipal council of East Berlin). From 1967 until its dissolution in 1990, she was member in the Verband Bildender Künstler der DDR (Association of Visual Artists of the GDR). Therefore, she was able to undertake several study trips inter alia to Cyprus, Hungary, France and Central Asia. After 1990, working stays led her to Italy, France, Portugal and Switzerland. Also, she stayed several times on the German island Rügen. She had numerous personal and group exhibitions in Germany and Europe, but as well in Japan, Russia and Iraq.
Barbara Müller-Kageler lives and works in Berlin.